6/15/09

A quiet Monday.

So today, I had some time on my hands (hm, odd, as I am unemployed) and in between apartment hunting and bouts of reading, I made my way to Sacred Heart Chapel to bask in some alone time. I figured, hey, why not go sit at the old Catholic church in silence and get some of the many, many questions that have been floating around my head down on paper, so I could start (attempting to) answer them. So I went there with the intention of writing, silently. Well, when I walked up to the doors, I heard loud organ music. Rats, I thought. There's probably a mass going on. But I poked my head in, and saw that the church was empty save for a woman practicing on the organ. Correction: BANGING IT OUT on the organ. It was awesome. I sat in the back and scribbled away and hoped no one noticed me.

Next stop: Tanners, where I read part of "The God of Small Things" and then headed to Borders where I sat and read Vonnegut's "A Man Without A Country." I'd been meaning to read it for a while, and since it was only 150 pages, I sat and read it there. I felt a little guilty about essentially stealing intellectual property from Borders. But I blame it on the economy.

Here's one of my favorite excerpts today from Vonnegut:

"If you really want to hurt your parents, and you don't have the nerve to be gay, the least you can do is go into the arts. I'm not kidding. The arts are not a way to make a living. They are a very human way of making life more bearable. Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake."

I hope the rest of your week is lovely,
xoxo Bern

2 comments: